What Now?

So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
Romans 7:17


This scripture can be mis-leading. It is still YOU committing the sin, but the point is that you have control over “the sin” in your life. You may not think you do but YOU DO, especially with God’s help. Sin is the devil’s way of trying to have power over us. You can not let sin dictate your life. Your future, your family, your finances, your relationship with God: All of these things are far, far too important to let evil work its way in and win. There are stories after stories of people that innocently started doing something that ultimately consumed and ruined their lives. The key is to be aware and take control as soon as possible.

It is a moment by moment and prayerful process. Oddly enough, I have never prayed to stop the sleep aides. I have just tried it on my own, without asking for God’s help. As I write this and urge you to use two key processes: Your will and God’s help, I know what I have to do.

Moment by moment: Each and every time you reach for the mouse, the cookie, the credit card, the drink: You can simply walk away and find something else to do to occupy your mind, one moment at a time. Do something physical to make it easier to say no: Don’t buy the alcohol, leave the computer off, don’t buy the cookies and give your credit cards to a friend/loved one. Anything it takes to make the first step harder. Then back it up with prayer. God is there and He wants to help, you have to ask though.


Lord, give me the strength to say no. Give me the wisdom to ask for Your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment